Thursday, January 13, 2011

Feeding The Plow Boy

The heading was written as an inside joke.
Bob often refers to himself as my"barn boy", this is a title he has taken on due to the large number of barn chores that always awaits him.
The New England winter storm of 2011 brought the farm 16" of snow before dark and 2+ after dark, so I am temporarily renaming Bob the "Plow Boy".
Yesterday with the driving wind and constant snow fall Bob could not start plowing until 3:00pm then the task was to get a path from paddock to barn. We both have our talents Bob is better with the plow and I am better in the kitchen, comparably so I set out to create food to feed the"Plow Boy".







New England Corn Chowder and Sausage , potato and leak Frittata.

 Corn Chowder



3 Medium-size potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and diced (about 2 1/2 cups).

1 cup water

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 can (11 oz) kernal corn, drained

1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream style corn

1 can (12 oz) evaporated Milk

1 Tablespoon butter or margerine

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper


Saute onions in OVOO. in large stock pot then add potatoes and water.
Bring potatoes and water and onion to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 8-10 minutes, stirring once or twice, until potatoes are tender.
Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer 8-10 minutes for flavor to develop.

Frittata is one of those things that I prepare without a recipe because perfect fit for"what's on hand".
This is what I used for this particular frittata:


2 leek ( the white part and the inner leaves of the green part)
2 Baked potatoes (removed from skin)
Grated cheese – I used a mixture of Gruyere, Emmentaler and Parmesan – I used the amount that’s in the photo ??
7 eggs
A dash, maybe 1/4 cup, 1/2 n 1/2
Salt and pepper
Olive oil & butter
Paprika

I cooked the potatoes in microwave then removed from the skin and added paprika.  I set the cooked potatoes aside and sauteed the leeks ( over medium-high) until they were tender, then browned the sausage, I added the potatoes to the skillet. I also seasoned  with salt and pepper as I was cooking them.

I turned the heat under my skillet down to medium.  Then I beat together the eggs, milk and some salt and pepper.  I added the egg mixture and started to scramble the eggs with the veggies and sausage.  Once curds began to form I added the cheese.  I continued to scramble just until everything was combined nicely and I let the whole mixture sit over the heat until the bottom set.  Once the bottom set, I put the whole thing in the oven and baked until the top was still a bit moist.  I turned on the broiler and broiled until everything was set and golden.  I cut my frittata into wedges and served it with the corn chowder.

No comments: