Monday, January 17, 2011

Cold winter days





I just this minute finished night check, blankets , hay, hugs kisses and prayers. It is 6 degrees outside. I was going to write that it does not feel like 6, but what does 6 feel like? If it feels like a razor knife on exposed skin and frozen nostrils when you inhale, then it feels like six.
I do not believe Lager has any issue with the temperature . I have made a promise to Lager that he can run free and play each and every day he lives on this farm, so he plays and I chill . The video was taken at sun set (16) that should explain the quality.
Now I am going to shower , take the chill off  and read seed catalogs.
Allot of my mail these days are seed catalogues, they are a pleasure to look at on cold days, and I have begun some planning.
Planning for summer and dreaming of spring is helping make the temperatures tolerable. Today's high was 18 , tomorrow we are looking at another storm.
As far as garden plans, this year we will have 8 raised beds , one will be dedicated 100% to kitchen herbs.
I believe seven of the beds will be located along the fence line of the front paddock, in the sun next to the hydrant. The herb bed I am thinking of placing by the back deck closer to the kitchen ( I will have to confirm with "The Lawn Boy").
I plan to have loads and loads of sunflowers, we had lots last year and they were beautiful.
I have must do repairers planned  for the chicken coop , and I have asked for a portable coop. Last year I allowed the chickens to free range and they played havoc in the garden, tasting every cucumber and red tomato. Check out this coop at Life At Cobble Hill Farm, http://lifeatcobblehillfarm.blogspot.com/search/label/Chicken%20Coop
Is it wrong to covet thy neighbors coop?
It would be wonderful to just add the out door portion pictured here to our current coop perhaps off a back chicken door. (I will have to confirm with "The Maintenance Boy". I am suffering from fresh egg withdrawals, fresh eggs another reason to long for spring.
Books, magazines and cooking is a lot of what gets me through the winter.
I did not get to the store today to purchase additional binders so the recipe organizing is on hold.
I did make and print some labels for the binders, so all is not a loss.

No comments: