Wednesday, November 18, 2009

5LB Bread



Yesterday while at work I was thinking about my CSA share from last week, what I picked up and what was left at home.(I often fantasize about farm life at work)
I was thinking " I have to do something with the cranberries" .
I have shared a few handfuls with the Belgians but did not want to feed all of those beautiful fresh berries to the horses, they had already feasted on many of the shares apples.Cranberries are good for people and horses/ loaded with antioxidants.
I decided because I am out of canning jars, I would make bread.
The cranberries add a wonderful tartness to the sweet Orange bread. I made the largest cranberry bread I have ever made.
I worked 9-6 so almost bailed out of the idea, but I am glad I went through with it.My Mom use to make Cranberry bread for the holidays. My Mom use to make every thing for the holidays, cooking from Thanksgiving to New Years.
My Dad loved holiday food Thanksgiving was one of his most favorite days of the year eat nap eat!
My Mom cooks much less these days, now that my Dad has passed and the BIG eaters(my brother Harry and I ) are gone.The scents of the holidays bring me back , to happy times.

The bread was cooking as I cleared the dinner dished.It produces this heavenly seasonal scent that makes us sure that the holidays are upon us and almost brings a warmth into the darkness of winter.

Cranberry Bread: (makes 1 regular size loaf)
I got this recipe at a tour of Ocean Spray Museum on Water Street in Plymouth(I think it's gone now)

2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup orange juice

2 tablespoons butter (softened) or vegetable oil

1 tablespoon grated orange peel

1 egg well beaten
1 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I left out)
In a large bowl mix together thPreheat the oven to 350F

Grease a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.

Chop the Cranberries and walnuts and set aside.e flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.


Stir in the orange juice, orange peel, egg and butter.

Then fold in the chopped cranberries and walnuts.

Spread the mixture evenly in the greased loaf pan and bake in the oven at 350F for 55 minutes.

No comments: