Tuesday, March 1, 2011

March First









February, the shortest of months was quite long I for one am glad it is March.
We are twelve days from daylight savings, and nineteen days from spring, I hope we can survive.
The road to the farm is as bad as it has ever been, the rotation of thaw and refreeze we are having is torture. Our home was full of guest's over the past week end, so we have chores to catch up on. Saturday as planned, I did make "Thanksgiving Dinner" that is to say we had turkey with all the stuff. On Sunday I made turkey stock, but I did not get around to turning it into soup, until last night.

Making Stock


1 Remove all the usable turkey meat from the turkey carcass to save  for adding to the soup.
2 Break up the leftover bones of the carcass a bit, so they don't take up as much room in the pot.I cooked my bird in a calphalon roasting pan, this can then go on the stove top to make stock.
 Put the leftover bones and skin into a large stock pot and cover with cold water by an inch. Add any drippings that weren't used to make gravy, and the  neck bone. Next I add all the reserved veggie parts, peels and ends collected form the week and saved in fridge.
3 Bring to a boil and immediately reduce heat to bring the stock to a bare simmer or just below a simmer.  Skim off any foamy crud that may float to the surface of the stock.
4 Add two - three grinds of salt and 1-2 pepper.
5 Cook for at least 4 hours, uncovered or partially uncovered (so the stock reduces), occassionally skimming off any foam that comes to the surface.
6 Remove the bones and veggies and strain .

With my stock already made,
I  chopped carrots, onions, and celery in equal parts. Add some parsley, a couple cloves of garlic. All of this and the left over turkey meat all went in the crock pot on low for the day.
Seperatley in my rice pot I made rice in turkey stock , before serving I will add some cooked rice.

Serving with Quesadillas
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/quesadilla/

No comments: