Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Confessions of a magazine addict

I confess I am a magazine addict.
I love magazines, some of the ones I am most fond of at this time are Yankee,
 is New England this month features Maple Syrup.
Organic Gardening , lots of Gardening tips some cooking.(My Mom sent me a year of this as a gift)


Hobby Farm and Hobby Farm Home,Hobby Farm Home is the home magazine for those truly living in the country.


 and Cooks Illustrated .


Cooks Illustrated has recipies,for easy to fancy foods , cookware reviews , taste test results and NO ADS.
I am thrilled when I open the mail box and find a new magazine. I save my magazines and reread them seasonaly.
Here is a recipe from this months Yankee Magazine.

Yield: Serves 6

1 medium bunch broccoli (about 1-/2 pounds)

3 tablespoons butter

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped

2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped

4 cups chicken broth

2 mealy potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

2 cups buttermilk

1. Separate the broccoli into flowerets. Reserve about 1-1/2 cups of the smallest flowerets and set aside. Cut the stalks into 1-inch lengths.



2. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and celery and toss to coat. Stir over medium heat until the onion is tender. Pour in the chicken broth. Add the broccoli, potatoes, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Cover the pan and cook at a gentle bubble for 20 minutes or until the broccoli is tender.



3. Transfer to the container of a blender or processor and whirl until smooth. Return to the saucepan and stir in the reserved flowerets. Cover and cook slowly until the flowerets are crisp-tender. Remove from the heat and allow the soup to cool for 10 minutes. Blend in the buttermilk and place over medium heat. Warm gently, but do not allow the soup to boil. Serve hot
One of my favorite things is to pack a magazine in my lunch bag.

No comments: