Thursday, April 28, 2011
Candy Apples for The Birthday Boy
Candy Apples , For Horses
•2-4 wooden skewers
•2 cups granulated sugar
•1 cup light corn syrup
•1/2 cup hot water
•1/2 cup red cinnamon candies, like Red Hots
Fresh Old Fashion Oats and broken candy cane/ peppermints
1. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with Parchment paper and spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Wash and dry the apples carefully. Remove the stems, and stick the skewers firmly in the stem ends of 2-4
3. Combine the water, corn syrup and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then continue to cook, without stirring, until mixture reaches 250 degrees. Wash down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush occasionally to prevent crystallization.
4. Once the candy reaches 250, add the cinnamon candies and stir briefly to incorporate. Continue to cook, washing down the sides, until it reaches 285 degrees.
5. Remove from the heat and stir the candy so that it is smooth and even. Hold an apple by the skewer and dip it in the candy, tilting the pan at an angle and rotating the apple to cover it completely with a smooth, even layer. Bring it out of the candy and twirl it to remove excess, then dip it into the oats set it on the prepared baking sheet. Remove the stick and repeat with remaining apples.
6. Allow apples to cool at room temperature. Candy apples are best enjoyed within 24 hours.