Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Official Start



Last night I officially started my Christmas baking.
Bob was going down to Massachusetts today to check in on his parents, I wanted to send some baked goods along so I fixed up a basket for them and then one for my Mom.
I've been feeling kinda" home sick", not for an address but for tradition and baking helped.
When my Dad was alive Thanksgiving was his favorite holiday, and it seemed as my Mom baked November - January.
I purchased a Spritz press and made some Spritz cookies, like my Mom always made.Fixing up my Mom's basket was lots of fun , I gather "stuff" throughout the year for her. Some things my Mom will find in her basket are: Suit for the birds, and a hand felted bird ornament, a couple candles one of bees wax one of soy, flowering seeds and garden markers.Candy and reusable snack bags. Cranberry and Blueberry bread, both baked with local berries and Spritz Cookies.

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/cookie-press-cookies

Spritz Cookies -

2 cups butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
I put my cookie sheets on the porch as I get everything ready for this recipe. Pressing the dough out onto cool, ungreased baking sheets makes it possible for each application to stick on contact.
In a large bowl, mix butter until creamy. Gradually add sugar; cream until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well; stir in vanilla extract. Gradually add flour to mixture, beating well after each addition. Some Spritz recipes call for almond , I used vanilla and real butter.

No comments: