Wednesday, September 1, 2010
About a week ago I posted about Fall Menu planning,now we are in a heat wave.So the menu planning is all about, minimal oven use.
88°F | °C
Wind: NW at 1 mph
95°F | 68°F Thursday
Sausage and Cherry Tomato Tart and Side Salad
95°F | 68°F French Dip Friday
For the French Dip / Crock Pot
4 pounds rump roast
1 (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
1 (10.5 ounce) can condensed French
onion soup 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle beer
6 French rolls
2 tablespoons butter
1. Trim excess fat from the rump roast, and place in a slow cooker. Add the beef broth, onion soup and beer. Cook on Low setting for 7 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
3. Split French rolls, and spread with butter. Bake 10 minutes, or until heated through.
4. Slice the meat on the diagonal, and place on the rolls. Serve the sauce for dipping
85°F | 65°F Saturday (we have a wedding)
75°F | 56°F Sunday Lobster Mac n cheese / this is a test meal if it is yummy we have a pot luck in two weeks, and I plan to bring this.
• Coarse salt and ground pepper
• 1 pound elbow macaroni
• 6 tablespoons butter
• 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, minced
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
• 3 cups whole milk
• 1 pound coarsely chopped cooked lobster
• 4 cups (1 pound) mixed grated cheeses (Parmesan, sharp cheddar and fontina)
• 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
We use the fontina in Freddies Fondu and I love the way it melts.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (It does not need to be on long)
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook macaroni for 2 minutes less than al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Transfer 2 tablespoons melted butter to a medium bowl and reserve. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook until softened, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add milk and whisk until smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until sauce has thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Remove pan from heat. Fold in lobster, macaroni and cheese. Spoon into a shallow 4-quart baking dish. Add bread crumbs to the bowl of reserved melted butter and toss. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture. Place baking dish on a baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and sauce is bubbling. Cool 5 minutes before serving