Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Chicken meal One




In the Fall AKA Football season I roast a chicken nearly every week end. Not only is it a nice meal, it also makes a second meal with the leftover chicken salad and a great chicken stock for soup. For First Football Sunday ,I decided to do my normal lemon and basil chicken, I had lemons left from the wedding. I made a paste with the olive oil, fresh chopped basil and rosemary, minced garlic, lemon juice, sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. I then rubbed it all over the bird as well as under the skin directly onto the breast. I roasted it slow and low until it was falling off the bone. I added a whole garlic bud in the pan to remove for later in the week.

4-6 lb free range chicken
Juice of one lemon
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2-3 leaves of fresh basil, chopped one sprig rosemary
Sea salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, sliced into large chunks
4-5 garlic cloves

Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Clean chicken and pat dry. Mix the lemon juice (reserving the lemon halves), minced garlic, chopped basil and olive oil in a bowl then rub evenly over the entire bird. Carefully, lift the skin over the breasts and rub the mixture directly on the breast meat. Place onion and garlic inside the cavity along with some extra basil leaves and the used lemon halves. Sprinkle the top of the bird with a little extra sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.
Wash the chicken inside and out, pat dry.
Place chicken in a Pyrex with Pam ( I buy any NON chipped Pyrex I find at yard sales). Place the meat thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Roast uncovered for 3 1/2 - 4 hours until the meat thermometer reads 180 degrees.basting add extra juice. Remove from oven and let the bird rest for AT LEAST 10 minutes before carving. Enjoy If the game is at 1:00 start this after breakfast.I stuffed the bird with cornbread stuffing.After lunch Bob picked the bird for Chicken Salad sandwiches Monday lunch, and I boiled the bird for stock.When you boil a stock pot and any veggie scraps you have ie:carrot peel celery ends...This stock is wonderful for rice,and Tortellini.

No comments: