Friday, May 7, 2010

"some place, in Maine"





Recently I learned that my cousin Cindy, lives only 30 minutes from me. This is odd for a number of reasons, but most off all Maine is a very large state. Often I see an add for "some place" in Maine in Yankee Magazine or on TV. It seems that every time, I investigate "some place" is 3 or four hours away. So any how when I learned my cousin (who I was very close to when younger) lived in Maine I was sceptic. This week we spoke by phone, for an hour. We had allot of catching up to do. Our children are the same age, with similar interests and my Dad was her favorite Uncle (and one of her Step Dads best friends). We made plans to visit "all day Friday". I got up and did my farm chores and was at the market at 7:30 getting chicken salad for lunch. Well stuff happends and Cindy arrived at 2:30 and could only stay, till 3:3o. The hour passed very quickly as Cindy introduced me to her service dog, and told me of his work.Cindy suffers with occasional black outs,and a nerve problem in one leg, her dog can seance in advance. When Cindy is about to black out the dog stabilises her, and if her leg gives out he helps get her to her feet.Service dogs are very interesting to me. It was a very short visit, but I look forward to seeing her again.

No comments: