Monday, March 22, 2010

One Potato


I'm slowly learning to juggle life with a farm, sleepless nights, barn scented clothes mucking boots and burlap. It is not always easy. It is always interesting. At the end of the day, when I lay my head on the pillow,(about 8:15pm) I am content. I am happy with my life, my family, my hectic days, my burlap and the uncomplicated and mostly local, but always heartwarming, dishes I've been making lately.
When I wrote about meal planning, I spoke of roasted veggies, this time of year my CSA includes lots of root veggies.
We've been having these potatoes at least once a week for the last couple of weeks. They are not fancy, after all they are potatoes, heck at 5am they were covered in dirt .However they are fresh, local, filling and with the correct spices darn satisfying.
What I like about this dish, besides being comforting and spicy and delicious, is that I can do it with my eyes half closed(as in at 5am).
Perfect for my lethargic state that is working a farm and full time job.
Washing and slicing the potatoes and tossing in seasoning is the only work you would do. The Potatoes basically cook themselves and the rest is chemistry between the herbs, oven heat and oil.This week I bought spiced dipping oil, for Saturdays nights appetizer and the left overs went here.
Recipe: serves 4 ( or Bob and I dinner plus left overs for breakfast)
- Six big Local Maine Potatoes 12 small (or any of your favorite potatoes)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed I LOVE My Pamperd Chef Press
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper / if you like hot
- Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven at 400F. (or set timer)

slice the potatoes into wedges or fries. Put them in a bowl, along with the olive oil, salt, black pepper, paprika and red pepper, if used. Toss the potatoes to combine.

Arrange them in a baking sheet in a single layer and bake until golden brown and crisp on the outside, turning them over once is best, about 25-30 minutes.

Mix the herbs, garlic, lemon juice in a bowl. When the potatoes are baked, toss them quickly with the garlic infused herbs and serve.

No comments: