Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Rockin The Crock Pot

We woke up this morning and it was 54 outside, it is realy starting to feel like fall. I always look forward to the Menu changes with the season changes.
Is there anything better then comming home at the end of a long day, opening the door and smelling a home cooked meal.
I do not have anyone who cooks for me,so I acomplish this sensation by making use of the crock pot.
That is exactly what happend yesterday, it reminded me of how much I love my crock pot.
I already shared yesterday, I was fairley sleep deprived from the storm add to that a days farm chores, a job off the farm and additional storm clean up. Had I had to cook dinner last night we would have been in trouble, but I had put it on in the morning via. the crock pot and dinner was waiting. Last fall and winter I used my crock pot and/or dutch oven at least once a week it is time once again to start putting that plan into action, time to dig out the crock pot recipies.

Last night we had chicken but I am alread looking forward to Beef for next weeks "crock pot night"

  • 1 beef roast / eye round
  • onions – 1 or 2
  • 1/3 cup chunky applesauce or you can peeland core 4-6 apples
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 packet Ranch dressing mix
Put the roast in a slow cooker.  Mix the applesauce, beef broth and Ranch dressing mix together and pour over the roast.  Cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

You can thickened the broth with flour and water.  Remove the roast and onions from the crockpot.  Turn the heat to high.  In a container with a tight-fitting lid, put 3-4 Tbs. of flour and enough water to make the consistency of wall-paper paste.  Shake the daylights out of it and gradually whisk it into the broth in the crockpot.

No comments: