Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Seeing in the dark

October 27, 2010


The 300th day of 2010
55 Days until Winter

I see living on a farm and trying to do so sustainably as a  series of adjustments.  Much of what I'm doing now, I did before, or grew up seeing done, now I do it with more thought and  with a different attitude.  Menu planning and going to the  grocerie , keeping house, feeding my family, were all in my life before I started living on my farm.The farm is teaching me to do things more deliberately and with a more generous and with more passion. No one asked for change, that probebly would not have worked.
Living on a farm and "Living the simple Life" takes work and planning.


I have found I need to be much more organised keeping the farm.  If we haven't thought to buy all the supplies we need, we have to rush out to get them at inconvenient times and those extra trips use more time and fuel, and often more money. I have often spoke of Menu plans, planning and making less trips prevents adding to the cart.
As the seasons change, so do the needs and the ruitines. I have been in a funk, I am not pleased in the lack of action and progress I have made recently in regaurds to living simply. I was quite pleased with my ruitine and the progress or growth I had seen, but not so much latley.I ran the dryer a number of times over the week end and have gone to the coffee shop every day, for weeks.  I am not sure what caused this lull, I am going to blame day light savings, for a lack of something better.We are approaching day light savings , I am commiting to my self to  re focus on my goals. In the next few days you will see a focus on rebuilding my commitment, the changes I make or the things I return to and new idea's. You will see more cooking, budgeting / menu planning with purpose and I need to get organized (I plan to tacle the pantry).
I like saving money, but there's no question of us going without , healthy, and tasty meals. We like to eat ALOT, and I take too much pleasure in cooking something I have been doing mostly on the week ends.I need to plan better for all meals including Monday -Friday .
On Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 2 a.m., Daylight Saving Time ends in the United States

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Right on! We do the same, organization is tops. We had our first real freeze this morning on the heels of 6 +/- inches of rain and a prelude to 3-5 coming beginning tonight.

I went to the garden and plucked the remaining green/red peppers seeded and halved put them on cookie sheets and they are flash freezing in the freezer for winter meals.

I am no longer working off the farm and I am getting to be more productive and accomplishing more each day.

What was in your grilled sandwiches? Looks great!