Thursday, October 21, 2010

Learning

A horse doesn't care how much you know until he knows how much you care.


- Pat Parelli

Jake is showing signs of feeling better. Last week I was sure his lameness was a result of the gravel blow out he had last spring. After a number of foot soaks, hours of observation and speaking with  a number of experts, I do not think it was his hoof. I think Jake's pain and lameness , this time was the result of either a slip and fall or the beginnings of arthritis. If you have  followed this Blog for  any time you know Jake was not always treated well before he came to our farm. I never personally met Jake's previous owner but his condition when he arrived was deplorable. Jake came to us under weight , dehydrated, with poor hooves and a halter that was so tight it was cutting his skin.Jake's eyes, on arrival told his story. This leads me to believe his soreness is the result of his earlier care.With Jake's age and history he is less tolerant of slips and falls, and changes in temperature. I am happy to report he is doing better.
Jake seems to be adjusting to his additional stall / rest time, eating his hay and grain uninterrupted by Nickel and I have added SmartFlex Repair to his feeding. I really like the Smart Pak products( and no one told me, or paid me to say that) and the people at Smart Pak are very knowledgeable, they spent tons of time on the phone with me this week. Over the week end I plan to let Jake and Nickel spend supervised time together.
From the cataloge / description
SmartFlex Repair provides everything your horse needs for joint, tendon and ligament health, in one supplement! This cutting-edge formula combines the high-level joint support of SmartFlex III Ultra with the connective tissue support of SmartTendon.




For joint support, SmartFlex Repair provides 10,000 mg of Glucosamine, 1,000 mg of Chondroitin Sulfate, 100 mg of Hyaluronic Acid, 10,000 mg of MSM and 5,000 mg of Vitamin C. For helping maintain healthy, resilient tendons and ligaments, this formula also provides 500 mg of bioavailable Silica, 1,000 mg of Hydrolyzed Collagen and 400 mg of Grape Seed Extract.



SmartFlex Repair is intended for hard-working performance horses and to support normal recovery in injured horses.


A work in progress. Matt has done a great job!


Jake seem's to like his new (forever) home , about 1 year in

Arrival day, with sad eyes

and sad coat (also day1)

Progress

and Love I'm going to keep him we will figure his needs out together.

No comments: