Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mid March

Well it is about Mid-March and Maine has seen some very strange weather. Yesterday it was sunny bright and clear, we enjoyed temperatures that approached sixty degrees.
 At the farm we have started to rake the stones off the lawn that were left behind while plowing snow, this is a second try as the first was interupted by a foot of snow.
 I have uncovered the spickets and pulled up the driveway markers so I hope we do not see anymore snow. This morning as I hung laundry on the line to drive, rain sprinkled down. I stuck with my plan, although hesitant and the laundry did dry. On adverage a month that see's zero use of the electric dryer saves us a full fitey dollars in energy costs. My goal is to use the clothes line for the next five monthes 90% or more. This means I will have to hang all the wash and use the dryer only to finish up anything that gets rained while out. Today was the official start of seeds with the lettuce boxes being filled. This year I used seed tape in hopes of doing less thining, and waisting. Truth be told little was waisted becouse the thinings were fed to bunny, so I hope the seed tape optemises the new space and makes preety rows. It looks like for pots of herbs servived the winter oregano, rosemary and two chive they have now been moved from the sun room to the back deck. Yesterday I started a book of things to do to be Spring ready this week end I plan to move pig out doors and divide hosta and apply compost over the garden beds and paddock areas to help improve the soil, this will depend on if things dry up enough.Mother Earth recomends a mix 2 to 3 inches into new beds or 1 inch into established beds we have a large established pile.

No comments: